Monday, April 27, 2015

Ask an International Guy of Mystery

Dear Guy,
For years I have been trying to remember the name of a song. Its lyrics run through my head every day like a stream of oily effluent rushing down a storm drain:
Oh, them golden slippers!
Oh, them golden slippers!
Golden, golden, golden slippers,
Golden, golden slippers!
Do you have any idea what the name of this song is and who wrote it?

Perplexed in Pendleton, Oregon

Dear Perplexed,
I had to coerce some of my sources in the intelligence community to help me track this down. There are three possibilities, which I'll share with you:
One is "Pair Two-Thousand-Twenty-Three", written by Imelda Marcos and sung by her husband, Ferdinand, with the accompaniment of the Philippine National Choir.
Another is "I Wish I Was a Girl" by J. Edgar Hoover, the founder of the FBI.
Lastly, "Them Golden Slippers" by The Ozark Snake Charmers, with special guest, Billy Graham.
I hope one of these rings a bell for you!
Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment